Thứ Sáu, 31 tháng 10, 2008

bai tap tieng anh lop 11

UNIT 5: ILLITERACY
A. PHONETIC
I. Choose the word whose underlined part is pronounced differently from that of the other words.
1) A. pretty B. pretend C. pretext D. prepare
2) A. teachers B. arrives C. textbooks D. combs
3) A. corn B. cup C. can D. city
II. Choose the word that has stress pattern different from that of the other words.
4) A. illiteracy B. province C. primary D. country
5) A. eradicate B. minority C. campaign D. ethnic
6) A. highland B. northern C. village D. effective
B. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
I. Choose the best answer to complete each sentence.
7) The ........................... of masses is an essential educational way of our party and people.
A. generalization B. role C. duty D. universalization
8) The loving-peace people have been working for the ......................... of World Peace.
A. access B. glory C. success D. promotion
9) There is a ......................... to raise money for the needy.
A. campaign B. mobilization C. movement D. A & B
10) A group of people from a particular or of a particular race living in a country where the main group is of different culture or race is called...........
A. mountaineers B. ethnic minority
C. nations D. undeveloped people
11) The new tax policy comes into effect next month.
A. comes into use B. begins to apply C. starts D. A & B
12) A situation in which something is happening or a lot of things are being done is a(n) ...................... .
A. work B. action C. activity D. happening
13) You’re ......... your time trying to persuade him; he’ll never help you.
A. wasting B. spending C. losing D. missing
14) The most important thing we should do now is to tackle the problem of widespread ......................... .
A. illiterate B. illiteracy C. literate D. literacy
15) Someone told us ........................... sit on the stairs.
A. don’t B. not C. not to D. to not
16) “Don’t forget to ring me”
A. I advised David to ring me B. I reminded David to ring me
C. I offered to be rung D. You promised to ring me
17) The doctor advised him ......................... and to take up some sport.
A. stop smoke B. stop smoking
C. to stop smoking D. to stop to smoke
18) I have told him never ........... to buy some potatoes on the way home.
A. come B. comes C. came D. to come
19) Professional people expect ................... when it is necessary to cancel an appointment.
A. you to call them B. that you would call them
C. you calling them D. that you are calling them
20) ..................... me to phone them before I go out.
A. Remind B. Remember C. Mention D. Make
21) The conductor asked ......................... in the bus.
A. them to please not to smoke B. that they should not smoke
C. them not to smoke D. them not to smoke
22) He told us to wait him at the bus stop .......................... .
A. tomorrow B. next Sunday C. yesterday D. the previous day
II. Choose the underlined part among A, B, C or D that needs correcting.
23) David asked me telling him the time.
A B C D
24) I warned them not climb the mountain in such bad weather.
A B C D
25)They voluntarily spent their vacations to teach illiterate people to read & write.
A B C D
26) The policeman ordered the suspect to not remove his hands from the car.
A B C D
27) The teacher told us to keep quietly during the lesson.
A B C D
III. Write the following sentences in Reported Speech.
28) “You had better go to the doctor”.
à He urged me................................................................................................
29) “You’ve got to lend me some money!”
à He begged me.............................................................................................
30) “Give me your homework.”
à The teacher told us......................................................................................
31) “Please, don’t smoke in my car.”
à He asked us..................................................................................................
32) “I’ll buy you an ice-cream.”
à My Dad promised........................................................................................
33) “Would you like to have a drink with me?”
à He invited me..............................................................................................
34) “You should give up smoking.”
à The doctor advised me...............................................................................
35) “Don’t shoot.”
à The General ordered us.............................................................................
C. READING
Read the passage and choose one correct answer for each question.
PARENTS’ DREAMS
Parents often have dreams for their children’s future. They hope their children will have a better life than they had. They dream that their children will do things that they couldn’t do. Parents who come to the U.S from foreign countries hope their children will have better education here. They think their children will have more career choices and more successful lives. They make many sacrifices so that their children will have more opportunities. They think their children will remain close to them because of this. Some children understand and appreciate these sacrifices and remain close to their parents. However, other children feel ashamed that their parents are so different from other Americans.
36) Parents often dream of ......................................
A. their children’s making a lot of money in the future.
B. one day seeing their children become famous people.
C. one day living on their children’s money.
D. a bright future for their children.
37) Parents who come home from U.S from foreign countries hope that .....
A. their children will have a lot of careers.
B. their children become successful directors.
C. their children will have more opportunities for good education.
D. their children will make a lot of sacrifices.
38) Parents think their children will remain close to them because...........
A. they give their children a lot of money.
B. of the sacrifices
C. they know their children will be successful in the future.
D. they are living in a foreign country.
39) The word career in line 5 is closest in meaning to ............................
A. education B. travel C. subject D. profession
40) The word close in line 7 is closest in meaning to ............................
A. dear B. friendly C. helpful D. kind
D. WRITING
Arrange these words or groups of words in the correct order.
41) Jerry/ that/ to lend/ asked/ days/ before/ two/ pen/ John/ him
à.......................................................................................................................
42) to return/ John/ to/ next/ it/ day/ promised/ her/ the
à.......................................................................................................................
43) I/ Saturday/ Pam/ on/ to/ the/ invited/ cinema/ to go
à.......................................................................................................................
44) letter/ Diana/ Sue/ the/ for/ reminded/ to post/ her
à.......................................................................................................................
45) formal/ everyone/ school/ education/ after/ leave/ Not/ should/ a/ they/ follow
à.................................................................................................


. Indirect speech: commands, requests, advice expressed by object + infinitive
‘Switch off the TV,’ he said to her.
‘Shut the door, Tom,’ she said.
‘Don’t watch late-night horror movies,’ I warned them.
‘Lend me your pen for a moment,’ I said to Mary.
‘Don’t believe everything you hear,’ he warned me.
‘Please fill up this form,’ the secretary said.
‘Don’t hurry,’ I said.
‘Don’t touch that switch, Mary,’ I said.
‘Open the safe!’ the raiders ordered the bank clerk.
‘Please do as I say,’ he begged me.
‘Help your mother, Peter,’ Mr Pitt said.
‘Don’t make too much noise, children,’ he said.
‘Do whatever you like,’ she said to us.
‘Don’t miss your train,’ she warned them.
‘Read it before you sing it,’ he said to his client.
‘Do sing it again,’ he said.
‘Don’t put your hands near the bars,’ the zoo keeper warned us.
‘Buy a new car,’ I advised him.
‘Don’t drive too fast,’ she begged him.
‘Don’t lean your bicycles against my windows, boys,’ said the shopkeeper.
‘Come to the cinema with me,’ he asked her.
‘Cook it in butter,’ I advised her.
‘Don’t touch the gates, madam,’ said the lift operator.
‘Don’t argue with me,’ the teacher said to the boy.
‘Pull as hard as you can,’ he said to him.
‘Send for the Fire Brigade,’ the manager said to the porter.
‘Don’t lend her anything,’ he advised us.
‘Make a list of what you want,’ she told us.
‘Look at the paper,’ he said to her.
‘Stand clear of the door,’ a voice warned the people on the platform.
‘See if you can find any mushroom, children,’ she said.
‘Don’t go alone,’ I warned her.
‘Pay at the cash desk.’ The shop assistant said to the customer.
The notice said, ‘Leave this space clear’
‘Remember to write to your mother.’
‘Think well before you answer,’ the detective warned her.
. Indirect speech: commands, requests, advice
1. He said,’ Get out of my way.’
2. ‘Climb in through the window,’ he ordered
3. ‘Please pay at the desk,’ said the assistant.
4. ‘Open your bag, please,’ said the store detective.
5. ‘Don’t worry about anything, Mrs Pitt,’ said her solicitor. ‘Leave it all to me.’
6. ‘Don’t use bent coins in a slot machine,’ I warned him.
7. ‘Follow that car,’ the detective said to the taxi-drive.
8. ‘Wash it in lukewarm water,’ recommended the assistant.
9. ‘Have confidence in me,’ urged the doctor.
key:
A. PHONETIC
I. 1) A. pretty 2) C. textbooks 3) D. city
II. 4) A. illiteracy 5) D. ethnic 6) D. effective
B. VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR
I. 7) D. universalization 8) D. promotion 9) D. A & B 10) B. ethnic minority
11) D. A & B 12) C. activity 13) B. spending 14) B. illiteracy
15) C. not to 16) B. I reminded David to ring me 17) C. to stop smoking
18) D. to come 19) A. you to call them 20) A. Remind
21) C. them not to smoke 22) D. the previous day
II. 23) B. to tell 24) B. to climb 25) B. teaching 26) B. not to remove 27) C. quiet
III. 28) He urged me to go the doctor. 29) He begged me to lend him some money.
30) The teacher told us to give him our homework. 31) He asked us not to smoke in his car.
32) My Dad promised to buy me an ice-cream. 33) He invited me to have a drink with him.
34) The doctor advised me to give up smoking. 35) The General ordered us not to shoot.
C. READING
36) D. a bright future for their children.
37) C. their children will have more opportunities for good education.
38) B. of the sacrifices 39) D. profession 40) A. dear
D. WRITING
41) John asked Jerry to lend him that pen two days before.
42) John promised to return it to her the next day.
43) I invited Pam to go to the cinema on Saturday.
44) Diana reminded Sue to post the letter for her.
45) Not everyone follow a formal education after they leave school.
. Indirect speech: commands, requests, advice expressed by object + infinitive
He told her to switch off the TV.
She told Tom to shut the door.
I warned them not to watch late-night horror movies.
I asked Mary to lend me her pen.
He warned me not to believe everything I heard.
The secretary asked me to fill up the form.
I told them not to hurry.
I warned Mary not to touch that switch.
The raiders ordered the bank clerk to open the safe.
He begged me to do as he said.
Mr Pitt told Peter to help his mother.
He told the children not to make too much noise.
She told us to do whatever we liked.
She warned them not to miss their train.
He told his client to read it before he signed it.
He begged her to sing it again.
The zoo keeper warned us not to put our hands near the bars.
I advised him to buy a new car.
She begged him not to drive too fast.
The shopkeeper told the boys not to lean their bicycles against his windows.
He asked her to come to the cinema with him.
I advised her to cook it in butter.
The lift operator warned the lady not to touch the gates.
The teacher told the boy not to argue with him.
He told him to pull as hard as he could.
The manager ordered the porter to send for the Fire Brigade.
He advised us not to lend her anything.
She told us to make a list of what we wanted.
He told her to look at the paper.
A voice warned the people on the platform to stand clear of the door.
She asked the children to see if they could find any mushroom.
I warned her not to go alone.
The shop assistant asked the customer to pay at the cash desk.
The notice told us to leave the space clear.
I reminded them to write to their mother.
The detective warned her to think well before she answered.
. Indirect speech: commands, requests, advice
1. He told me to get out of his way.
2. He ordered me to climb in through the window.
3. The assistant asked the customer to pay at the desk.
4. The store detective asked her to open her bag.
5. her solicitor told Mrs Pitt not to worry about anything but (to) leave it all to him.
6. I warned him not to use bent coins in a slot machine.
7. The detective told the taxi-driver to follow that car.
8. The assistant recommended me to wash it in lukewarm water.
9. The doctor urged me to have confidence in him.

Không có nhận xét nào: